BBQ Chicken Recipe
With the weather starting to behave itself for BBQ’s I decided the time is right to give you my favourite chicken recipe. I hope you like it. In Thailand it’s called Gai Yang and it is usually served on the street in little plastic bags with the scrumptious sweet chilli sauce drizzled on top with a little stick to eat it with. I hope you enjoy it too X
You need to use chicken on the bone for this – you can either chop up a whole chicken or use chicken thighs on the bone which is a great way to do it as they cook all at the same time. Keep the skin on though you need it to keep the meat juicy.
In a pestle and mortar pound 10 white peppercorns, three coriander roots with a pinch of salt and four garlic cloves. Add in 3 tablespoons of fish sauce and 2 teaspoons of palm sugar.
Coat the chicken with the paste and put on one side to marinate for two to four hours.
Sauce Preaw Wan – Sweet and Sour S
This is the sauce to serve with Gai Yang chicken but it works well with any grilled meat.
2 teaspoons of salt – 1 tablespoon of long red chillies – 1 teaspoon of medium red chillies – 1 tablesoon of garlic – 3/4 cup of sugar – 1 cup of water – 3/4 cup of white rice vinegar
- In a pestle and mortar pound the two types of chillies, garlic and salt and set aside.
- Bring the water and vinegar to the boil then add the sugar and allow it to dissolve fully and thicken slightly. The liquid will have reduced by about a half by the time this happens.
- Reduce the heat and add in the paste.
- Season with another pinch of salt to sharpen the taste.
- Put into a serving dish and allow to cool before serving